Our commitment is to reduce the levels of saturated fat, salt and sugar content in food and drinks sold across London.
Our aim: a healthier Hounslow
61% of adults and 35% of year 6 children in Hounslow were classed as overweight or obese in 2019-2020. Obesity has been linked to higher deaths from coronavirus, heart disease and type 2 diabetes as well as breast and bowel cancer.
The council is looking at what can be done to support our residents maintain a healthy weight. This includes encouraging our local food businesses to join the Healthier Catering Commitment, London-wide voluntary scheme for food outlets to sign up and make simple changes to how food is prepared, cooked and served, and to promote and encourage customers to choose healthier options.
- Food eaten outside of the home tends to be higher in saturated fats, salt and sugar than food freshly prepared at home. The Healthier Catering Commitment helps businesses make small changes to the food they offer in order to improve their customer’s health.
- We know that customers want healthier choices on the menu, and they would choose to go to food outlets where they have these options. The HCC gives them the assurance that healthier food choices are available in the businesses that have signed up.
How your business can benefit
Caterers who successfully meet the criteria of the scheme will be listed on this website.
Your business will get noticed! We will include it as part of our ongoing promotion of the scheme, aimed at increasing public awareness. We'll give you a certificate and window sticker to display on your premises and online. You will also be included on a map of London’s Healthier Catering Commitment businesses on the Healthier Catering Commitment website and be included in their communications via social media.
The many benefits to your business include:
- increased public awareness of your business
- attracting new customers
- positive recognition and improved reputation of your business
- contributing to the greater good and health and wellbeing of residents
- free advice and support with making effective changes to your business
- a free place on the online level 2 food safety training course run by NCASS (Nationwide Caterers Association)
For your business to be eligible for the scheme you must have achieved a minimum of 3 Food Hygiene Rating.
Find a Hounslow food outlet offering Healthier Options Hounslow food outlets HCC (sharepoint.com)
How to apply
The scheme requires you to make commitments, some of which are essential (marked E) and some voluntary, so you have some choice about the changes you might want to make and your food offer. Each business commits to a minimum of 8 of 25 criteria.
Once you are satisfied your business meets the criteria, send your completed assessment form to the HCC Officer Liza Ctori by emailing her at - Elizabeth.Ctori@hounslow.gov.uk
If you would like an informal visit to talk about the scheme and to receive guidance and support on how to make simple but effective changes, contact Liza Ctori at the email above.
You can also obtain further information and advice on the Healthier Catering Commitment website.