In partnership with One You Hounslow, the council is encouraging adults to get active, starting with just 10 minutes of brisk walking
Published: Wednesday, 3rd April 2019
This is the perfect time of year to spend a little more time outside and to be more active, but the busy nature of modern life means that it is often difficult to fit physical activity into our days.
The One You Hounslow campaign will see several free short health walks taking place across the borough’s parks for residents to take part in:
- Hounslow Heath Every Monday 9.30 to 10.30am. Meeting point: Car park by information centre
- Chiswick House Every Tuesday 10.30 to 11.30am. Meeting point: café in the gardens
- Feltham Health walk Every Wednesday 11am to 12noon. Meeting point: Feltham Assembly Hall
- Lampton Park Every Thursday 9.30 to 10am. Meeting point: Lampton Park (next to playground)
- Bedfont Lakes Every Friday 10.30 to 11.30am. Meeting point: Bedfont Road car park
- Redlees Park Every Saturday 11.15am to 12noon. Meeting point: Children's playground
- Osterley Park last Wednesday of each month - 10am to 12. Meeting point: Stableyard
For further information on One You Hounslow health walks, visit www.oneyouhounslow.org/move-more
To help residents on a journey to a healthier you, Public Health England is encouraging adults to download the free ‘Active 10’ app to help complete 10 minutes of brisk walking daily and to gradually build this up to multiple ‘Active 10s’. The app is the first of its kind to show how much brisk walking you’re doing and when you are doing this at a high enough intensity and long enough to get health benefits.
The app will also provide handy tips and will show residents how to target goals in their fitness that suits them and their lifestyles.
Brisk walking can help get the heart pumping faster, improve your mental health and lower the risk of serious illnesses such as heart disease and Type 2 diabetes.
Councillor Katherine Dunne, Cabinet Member for Communities and Workforce, Hounslow Council, said: “Just a short walk a day can help us all to lead a more active life.
“When you are looking to exercise, you have to enjoy it. Walking is not only good exercise but is a nice way to meet people and socialise, see many parts of the borough you might not have seen before and feel healthier.
“As a council we are committed to providing as many opportunities as possible for our residents to lead active lifestyles.
“We encourage as many of you as possible to download the Active 10 app, it is easy to use, so get walking!”
For more information and to download the Active 10 app, visit www.oneyouhounslow.org/move-more