Community groups joined veterans and local Hounslow dignitaries today on Armistice Day.
Published: Friday, 11th November 2016
Community groups joined veterans and local Hounslow dignitaries today on Armistice Day [Friday 11 November] to remember those who lost their lives in the two world wars and more recent conflicts.
Services took place across the borough and serving military personnel, cubs, scouts and guides paraded their colours alongside veterans, who laid wreaths in memory of fallen friends.
This morning, the council’s Service of Remembrance took place in Hounslow High Street, outside Holy Trinity Church.
The event included a military parade from 10.30am which included The Irish Guards, Ghurkha Veterans, local cadet forces, Royal British Legion and the Asian Elders.
The parade finished up outside the church where the service took place, incorporating a two minute silence at 11am.
On Remembrance Sunday, the following events will be taking place:
- Bedfont: A service takes place at St Mary's Church, Bedfont, from 10.30am, with Bedfont ward Councillor Sachin Gupta attending.
- Brentford: A service at 10.30am at Brentford Memorial outside Brentford Library, attended by Councillor Melvin Collins.
- Chiswick: There will be a wreath-laying service at Chiswick War Memorial at 10.30am, followed by a remembrance service at Christ Church, in Turnham Green. Councillor Paul Lynch is attending.
- Cranford: Service takes place at 10.30am, Cranford War Memorial, High Street, junction with The Avenue, Cranford and will be attended by Councillor Gurpal Virdi and Councillor Sukbir Dhaliwal.
- Feltham: The Mayor of Hounslow, Councillor Ajmer Grewal, Mayor’s Consort Councillor Pritam Grewal and Maria Pedro, the Deputy Lieutenant of Hounslow and Queen’s representative, will be present at a service of dedication at Feltham war memorial, in High Street, Feltham, at 2.30pm, following a parade from Victoria Road.
- Heston – Councillor Steve Curran, Leader of Hounslow Council will attended the service, from 10.30am, St Leonard’s Church, Heston Road
- Hounslow: There will be a remembrance service at Holy Trinity Church, Hounslow, at 10.30am. Councillor Mukesh Malhotra is attending.
- Hanworth: Councillor Richard Foote, will attend a service of remembrance at Hanworth War Memorial. The parade will leave from the Royal British Legion, in Cross Road, at 10.20am.
- Isleworth: Councillor Sue Sampson will join veterans at a remembrance service at the monument outside St Mary's RC Church, Isleworth, at 10.30am.
Councillor Steve Curran, Leader of Hounslow Council, said:
“Armistice Day and Remembrance Sunday give Hounslow’s war veterans a chance to honour and remember all who lost their lives in the conflicts and provide an opportunity for all of us to think about the sacrifices made by so many people, including our brave servicemen and women.
“I hope as many people as possible will join us for the borough’s remembrance service on Friday and again at services across the borough on Sunday. Please wear the Royal British Legion’s poppy with pride."