Community groups are set to join veterans, local dignitaries and councillors in Hounslow this Friday [10 November] for Armistice Day and on Remembrance Sunday [12 November].
Published: Monday, 6th November 2017
Community groups are set to join veterans, local dignitaries and councillors in Hounslow this Friday [10 November] for Armistice Day and on Remembrance Sunday [12 November], to remember those who lost their lives in the two world wars and more recent conflicts.
Services are taking place across the borough with serving military personnel, who will parade their colours alongside veterans and lay wreaths in memory of fallen friends.
This year, Armistice Day – which traditionally falls on the 11th day of the 11th month – is on a Saturday so the Council’s service will take place the day before.
Friday [10 November], the council’s Service of Remembrance will be led by the Mayor of Hounslow, Councillor Sue Sampson, taking place in Hounslow High Street, outside Holy Trinity Church, from 10.30am to 11.15am.
As in previous years, a military parade will take place followed by a short service. This will include a minute’s silence.
On Remembrance Sunday, 12 November, the following events will be taking place:
- Bedfont: Bedfont War Memorial – From 9.30am – at St Mary’s Church, Bedfont, TW14 8JR, followed by a ceremony of remembrance from 10.30am, at the Bedfont War Memorial, Staines Road & Grovestile Waye.
- Brentford: From 10.20am, meeting at St Paul’s Church, St Paul’s Road, Brentford, TW8 OPN, then on to Brentford War Memorial outside Brentford Library.
- Chiswick: From 10.20am, act of remembrance/wreath-laying at Chiswick War Memorial, Turnham Green, Chiswick W4.
- Cranford: Joint service and act of remembrance, from 10.45am-11.15am, Cranford War Memorial, High Street, junction with The Avenue, Cranford.
- Feltham: From 2.20pm, St Lawrence’s RC Church, The Green, TW13 4AF, parade and march to Feltham War Memorial, High Street, Feltham, TW13. The Mayor of Hounslow Cllr Sue Sampson is attending.
- Hanworth: From 10am, parade from RBL Hanworth, Councillor Richard Foote, will attend a service of remembrance at Hanworth War Memorial. The parade will leave from the Royal British Legion, in Cross Road, at 10.20am.
- Heston: From 10.05am, service at St Leonard’s Church, Heston Road, TW5 ORD, followed by wreath laying at Heston War Memorial.
- Hounslow: From 10.20am, parade from Whitton Road to Hounslow War Memorial, High Street, Hounslow.
- Isleworth: From 10.15am, parade from Royal British Legion Isleworth, North Street, pausing at the Civilian War Memorial on the village green and onto the Isleworth War Memorial outside St Bridget’s RC Church, off Twickenham Road. The Mayor of Hounslow Cllr Sue Sampson is attending.
Councillor Sampson said: “Armistice Day and Remembrance Sunday give our borough’s war veterans, a chance to honour and remember all who lost their lives in the conflicts and provide an opportunity for all of us to think about the sacrifices made by so many people, including our brave servicemen and women.
“I hope as many people as possible will join us for remembrance services both this Friday and on Sunday. Please wear the Royal British Legion’s poppy with pride.”
For any further information, visit www.britishlegion.org.uk