Learn more about Deputy Leader of Hounslow Council, Councillor Katherine Dunne.
Published: Monday, 20th June 2022
Councillor Katherine Dunne was recently elected as Deputy Leader of Hounslow Council; she is also Cabinet Member for Climate, Environment and Transport Strategy. She was first elected a councillor in 2014 and represents the Syon and Brentford Lock ward.
- I have lived in the borough for 10 years. I love the diversity of people that live, work and visit Hounslow.
- My favourite place in the borough is Hounslow Heath. When I get chance, I like to get out into the countryside to hike. Closer to home, we are lucky to have lots of parks in the borough where you can get away from the hustle and bustle. Hounslow Heath is a nature reserve so there is lots of wildlife to enjoy.
- I am trained as a scientist and have a doctorate in Chemistry. I received a chemistry set as a child and was fascinated by setting up experiments and seeing the results. Now, I no longer do laboratory work. I moved into research funding, first in physical sciences and now in medical and health research. The programme explores the wider causes of poor health such as air pollution, diet and poor housing.
- I am passionate about tackling climate change. In 2019, I proposed a motion at a council meeting declaring a climate emergency. I am looking forward to working towards a more sustainable and healthy borough - prioritising walking, cycling and public transport.
- One of my long-held ambitions is for everyone to have access to an affordable home. I want every resident in the borough to have a home that they can feel secure in, which is part of a more fair, inclusive and equitable society.