Libraries across the borough are set to reopen for Hounslow residents to browse, borrow and return from today (Wednesday 2 December).
Published: Wednesday, 2nd December 2020
Libraries have been closed for browsing to the public since the second lockdown began on 5 November. Following updated Government coronavirus guidance, they are now reopening.
Hounslow Council has put a range of health and safety measures in place to minimise risk for staff and members of the public. These include:
- Quarantining all returned stock for 72 hours before it is made available again to the public
- Limiting the number of people who can enter each library
- Asking every customer to sanitise their hands before entering
- Once inside the library, members of the public will be able to remain for a maximum stay of 30 minutes
- Computers will be cleaned by library staff after each use
Library computers (only available at Beavers, Bedfont, Heston and Feltham Libraries) can be booked by telephone or online. Click and Collect services will continue as normal.
Councillor Samia Chaudhary, Cabinet Member for Leisure Services, at Hounslow Council, said:
“Our staff have been working really hard and we look forward to welcoming Hounslow residents back to our libraries for browsing. We know they are much-loved and an important part of the community.
“We are also delighted to be able to open the ground floor of Brentford Library to the public next week, which has been closed due to an exciting new refurbishment. We will continue to offer the Click and Collect Service.
“The Hounslow Library Service continues to expand its selection of e-books and e-magazines. We have seen an increase in the number of Hounslow residents using our online services during the pandemic and hope that more people will continue to use this valuable resource.”
The following libraries will be opening:
- Beavers Library: Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday 10am to 3pm and Saturday 10am to 1pm. (Friday and Sunday closed).
- Bedfont Library: Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday 10am to 3pm (Wednesday, Friday and Sunday closed).
- Chiswick Library: Monday to Saturday 10am to 3pm (Sunday closed).
- Cranford Library: Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday 10am to 3pm (Wednesday, Friday and Sunday closed)
- Feltham Library: Monday to Saturday 10am to 3pm (Sunday closed)
- Heston Library: Monday to Saturday 10am to 3pm (Sunday closed)
- Isleworth Library: Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday (Wednesday, Friday and Sunday closed)
- Osterley Library: Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday 10am to 3pm (Wednesday, Friday and Sunday closed).
- *Brentford Library (ground floor only): Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday 10am to 3pm (Wednesday, Friday and Sunday closed).
*Brentford Library, located on Boston Manor Road, is in the process of being refurbished and will be an exciting new facility for the Brentford community. However, while the works are underway, Hounslow Council is opening the ground floor within the library for the public to browse, borrow and return books, from Monday 7 December.
The libraries are still closed at Hanworth Leisure Centre and Hounslow House Library
- To find out more about library services, including online services, visit: www.hounslow.gov.uk/libraries