Work is continuing on the upgrade to the highway and rail infrastructure around Feltham station, however the coronavirus is having an impact on progress.
Published: Wednesday, 8th April 2020
Work is continuing on the upgrade to the highway and rail infrastructure around Feltham station. These works are classed as essential infrastructure improvements and being carried out in line with government guidance in respect to Covid-19, and relevant industry best practice around ensuring social distancing by workers, and appropriate cleansing arrangements for equipment and plant.
This requirement to work differently is having an impact on the pace of work onsite. There are also implications for the supply of labour, materials and plant from some supply chain partners which may cause further delays to the completion of some sections. Some utility companies have stopped all non-emergency works which will prevent progress on some key tasks.
There is a possibility that further restrictions on construction may be announced by government which, if introduced would cause further delays to the time scales provided below.
Cllr Khan, Cabinet Member for Transport said:
“We understand the importance to the community of getting this vital infrastructure upgrade completed and available for public use as soon as possible. The Council and our contractors are therefore doing everything possible to keep works progressing during this difficult time. Assuming we can find workable solutions to some of the problems the current situation is causing, we still hope to see significant progress in the coming months and to complete works this calendar year.”
The current status of the works is as follows:
Network Rail’s work to construct a new pedestrian and cycle bridge and a fully accessible station entrance is continuing. The work is due to be completed by the end of 2020 - should this change due to the current situation Network Rail will update the public accordingly. Updates to the project are available at: www.networkrail.co.uk/feltham. For residents and passengers making essential journeys, step free access will continue to be available through Feltham station; please seek assistance from a member of station staff if required.
On the highway improvements around the station (known as Phase 1), works are ongoing and the community will start seeing sections finish and reopen for public use in the coming months. These include:
- Bridge House pond footpath complete and reopened May 2020.
- Hounslow Road: opening both lanes southbound towards Feltham beyond the bridge to allow traffic to turn left into Hanworth Road and go straight ahead into High Street. Estimated date: May/June 2020
- Longford bridge western side: to enable pedestrians to walk on the western side (please note for a short time the eastern footway will be closed for pedestrians). Estimated date: Summer 2020
- Completion of Longford Bridge: which will allow the bridge to be open to two-way traffic and removal of the temporary traffic lights on Bedfont Lane. Estimated date: Summer 2020
- Pedestrian ramps from new bus stops to new station entrance complete. Estimated date: Summer 2020
- Hounslow Road: western side, footway to be completed to enable pedestrians to use the new footway. Estimated date: Summer 2020
- Hanworth Road junction complete (but still under temporary traffic lights until the Hounslow Road reopens to two-way traffic): Estimated date: Summer 2020
- New Road: footway to be completed to enable pedestrians to use the new footway. Estimated date: Autumn 2020
- New Road junction complete: Estimated date: Autumn 2020
- Hounslow Road open to two-way traffic. Estimated date: Autumn 2020
- Final phase 1 completion – By end 2020.
On the highway improvement works to the High Street (known as Phase 2), the contractor delivering these works has currently paused works across London, with their staff furloughed for a minimum of two weeks. The dates provided below are based on works resuming in May.
- Browells Lane junction: Complete 1 April. TfL have paused all non-emergency signal works however the permanent signals will be commissioned as soon as this pause is lifted.
- High Street complete: Summer 2020
- Bedfont Lane South side complete: Summer 2020
- Bedfont Lane north side and Victoria Road start: These works, which have yet to begin, are currently on hold due to the current situation. This is under weekly review and if opportunities exist to safely start these projects then these will commence late Spring/early summer.
- Final phase 2 completion – By end 2020.
Works to implement an additional pedestrian bridge alongside Hounslow road (known as phase 3) are currently being scoped in further detail. It is hoped that these works could start summer 2021, however funding is still to be secured.