Roadmap out of lockdown
Step 2 – From 12 April: opening of non-essential retail
- personal care premises
- Indoor leisure facilities
- Most outdoor attractions and settings
- Self-contained accommodation
Step 3 - no earlier than 17 May
Indoor areas of hospitality venues will reopen. As outdoors, table service will be required. Venues will be prohibited from providing smoking equipment such as shisha pipes, for use on the premises.
Step 4 - no earlier than 19 July
In Step 4 , we hope to reopen remaining settings such as nightclubs and adult entertainment venues, and to lift the restrictions on social contact and large events that apply in Step 3. This is subject to the outcome of the Events Research Programme, and a review of social distancing measures.
17 May – What’s changed?
Indoor entertainment and visitor attractions will reopen. This will include:
- cinemas (outdoor cinemas will also be permitted to open)
- theatres (outdoor cinemas will also be permitted to open)
- concert halls
- amusement arcades and adult gaming centres
- bingo halls
- bowling alleys
- snooker and pool halls
Indoor as well as outdoor attractions will also reopen at the following:
- museums and galleries
- adventure playgrounds and activities
- skating rinks
- games and recreation venues, including laser quest, escape rooms, paintballing and recreational driving facilities
- play areas (including soft play centres and inflatable parks)
- model villages
- trampolining parks
- water and aqua parks
- theme parks and film studios
- zoos, safari parks, aquariums and other animal attractions
- botanical gardens, greenhouses and biomes
- sculpture parks
- landmarks including observation wheels or viewing platforms
- stately or historic homes, castles, or other heritage sites
Find out more here
Remaining holiday accommodation can reopen, as can saunas and steam rooms.
Further details here (Hotels and other guest accommodation)
Take a look guidance that sets out the restrictions that certain businesses and venues in England are required to follow. Businesses subject to restrictions
Extended opening hours
As non-essential retails reopens from 12 April at the earliest, shops will have the flexibility to open until 10pm Monday to Saturday. Read more about the extended opening hours.
Staying COVID-secure notice
Download a notice to display to show you have made your workplace COVID-secure.