Please place your food waste in the food waste bin. Your food waste bin is collected weekly on your normal collection day.
We supply two bins:
- 7 litre food waste caddy, for use in the kitchen
- 25 litre food waste collection bin
Both bins have carrying handles that can be used to lock the lid.
When the kitchen caddy is full it should be emptied into the food waste collection bin.
What goes in the kitchen caddy
- Fruit and vegetable peelings
- Plate scrapings
- Meat and fish bones
- Shredded paper
- Out of date fruit and vegetables
- Out of date meat
- Out of date fish
- Unused/out of date pre-packed food (BUT please remove wrappings)
What we do not accept
- Food packaging
- Liquids (drain all excess liquids from food stuffs) and oils
- Do not place anything inside plastic bags, use the biodegradable liners, kitchen towels or newspaper
- Garden waste
Lining your food waste bins
Your kitchen caddy should be lined with a biodegradable food waste bag, kitchen towel, newspapers or shredded paper to make it easier to empty and to clean. It is also useful to wrap food waste in newspapers or kitchen towel.as it helps to absorb excess moisture.
The collection bin may also need to be lined depending on how well the contents of the kitchen caddy are contained.
Do not use any plastic bags in either of the bins.
Collections are made from the 25 litre collection bins. This should be placed out on your collection day alongside the rest of your recycling. Please leave the handle in the upright position so that it locks the lid.
What happens to the collected food waste?
Once collected, the food waste is sent to an anaerobic digester where it produces methane gas and a bio-fertiliser.
- The methane gas is classified as renewable energy and is used to generate electricity and heat.
- The bio-fertiliser is used by farmers to replace artificial fertilisers, which have a significant environmental impact.
Visit the Biogen website for more information.
You can take your recycling and household / garden waste free of charge to Space Waye Reuse and Recycling Centre. If Space Waye is closed, there are alternative re-use and recycling sites available in West London.