We work in partnership with the Home Office to provide a service to help applying for British citizenship.
The Nationality Checking Service (NCS) will help ensure that your citizenship application is properly completed and submitted with all the relevant supporting documents.
All adult applicants for naturalisation will need to demonstrate knowledge of life in the United Kingdom. The aim is to ensure that new British citizens are equipped with basic level understanding of British culture, customs and life in UK in general.
You can apply for British citizenship if:
- you are over 18
- you are of good character, you don’t have a serious or recent criminal record, and you haven’t tried to deceive the Home Office or been involved in immigration offences in the last 10 years
- passed the Life in the UK test
- an English for Speakers of Other Languages (ESOL) qualifications at B1, B2, C1 or C2 level from an approved test centre
- a degree taught or researched in English . If done abroad an original letter or certificate from UK NARIC on 0871 330 7033 confirming the equivalent level of your degree, plus an official letter from your university with your name and degree confirming that your degree was taught in English.
Nationalities that are exempt
You won’t need to prove your knowledge of English if you are a citizen of these countries.
Contact UK Visas and Immigration
For further information and advice
Telephone: 0300 123 2253
Office hours: Monday to Thursday, 9am to 5pm, Friday, 9am to 4:30pm
Nationality Checking Service is by appointment only
Our staff are trained and registered to check and forward your application. They will photocopy and certify your passport and other valuable documents so these remain in your possession and then send your application and correct fee to the Home Office by special delivery post.
Please call us on 020 8583 2090 to book an appointment.
NCS / JCAP costs
All appointment fees are non-transferrable and non-refundable
Monday - Friday
The fee for the service is £75 per adult application and £40 per child, inclusive of VAT.
A joint application appointment fee, if you are including a passport form for an adult, is £90 per person and £55 per child.
Saturday appointments only
The fee for the service is £85 for each adult and £40 per child, inclusive of VAT.
A joint application appointment fee, if you are including a passport form for an adult, is £100 per person and £55 per child.
Using the NCS is entirely optional and simply gives you greater freedom of choice. You can apply directly to the Home Office yourself or use a solicitor or other agent.
The Nationality Checking Service does NOT offer:
- a priority service for processing your application with the Home Office (however, complete and accurate forms are processed on average, more quickly than those that are incomplete or which need further enquires.)
- any advice on nationality other than in relation to the completion of the application form
- any advice on other matters such as visas, immigration or asylum
- we cannot act as agents for the applicant. Further enquiries about your application progress or the decision should be made to the Home Office
If you require further advice, please contact the Home Office .
Office of the Immigration Services Commissioner (OISC)
Our advisers are registered with the OISC, an independent body established by parliament, which regulates organisations offering services of this kind.
Staff operating the Nationality Checking Service have been provided with a set of instructions which set out the precise extent of their duties.
If a client requires advice or services which are outside our remit, the adviser will refer that person to the Home Office and record the fact.
Comments, compliments and complaints
The Nationality Checking Service is provided by the London Borough of Hounslow's Register Office.
If you wish to make any comments or complaints, please contact the senior citizenship co-ordinator.
Telephone: 020 8583 2090, option 5.
London Borough of Hounslow
38-40 Harlington Road West