Play streets are roads which are dedicated to play at certain times of the year.
We want to make it easy for you and your neighbours to close your residential road to allow local children to play safely outside without worrying about cars or buses passing through.
Play Streets in Hounslow
Play Streets have been up and running in Hounslow for over a year and this initiative is going from strength to strength. Residents from all over the borough have been applying for their road to be made into a play street.
Why should we have play streets?
There are lots of benefits to having a play street on your road, they:
- allow children to play close to home
- give children the space to play safely
- increase a sense of community by bringing neighbours together
- encourage more activities to take place in the local area
Applying for a Play Street
It can take up to 6 weeks to hear back from us about your street closure request.
Once you have received the go ahead, Hounslow Highways will drop off barriers for your road at least 1 day before the Play Street takes place.
Do make sure that if you are applying for multiple dates in the year, that this is included in your Play Street application form.
Help and support
If you are interested in setting up a Play Street on your road and want to have a chat about it please email the Community Partnerships Unit
Have a look at our 'Play Street Pointers' to help you get started. Take a look at London Play's video for some inspiration!
Here are some useful websites too:
The cost to close your street is usually £29.80 however we are currently free for residents who want to make their street into a Play Street.
Getting neighbours involved
It’s important to gain support and also to let your neighbours know about the plans for your potential play street. They can then have the opportunity to discuss their ideas and concerns if they have any.
Make sure you:
- talk to people you know in your street to get an idea of interest and find out if any of them want to help you and get involved
- knock on doors and introduce the idea personally
- send a letter to all residents to introduce the idea and invite them to an informal residents meeting at a venue which is easy to get to.
Tel: 020 8583 4147
Email the Community Partnerships Unit