We maintain a children and young people disabilities list, so we can provide the right support and help to families.
Registering a child gives families access to our disability network group.
Helping HANDZ is the new name for the Hounslow Children with a Disability Network. It was suggested by disabled young person in Hounslow and chosen by parents.
It stands for Helping Hounslow Additional Needs and Disabilities Zone.
Helping HANDZ works in partnership with families and carers of children and young people with disabilities, so we can:
- improve access to information for parents and carers about support services in the community and wider
- increase family emotional wellbeing through accessing additional support services
- work in partnership with parents/carers in designing and evaluating services; and
- facilitate a network for parents/carers that is beneficial
Improving access to information for parents and carers about support services in the community and wider by:
- maintain effective communication channels to the local authority through the network coordinator. This includes telephone and text, email, in person at forum's and workshops and by having your say in the online quarterly network newsletter
- work closely with the Family Information Service to identify and signpost services for families; and
- make resources available to download such as newsletters, notes from meetings, forum's and workshops.
Increasing family emotional wellbeing through accessing support services by:
- sharing knowledge between families to highlight trusted resources, groups or services
- facilitating a peer-to-peer 'buddying' system; and
- working with existing community services to identify families that could benefit from the network services
Working in partnership with parents/carers in designing and evaluating services by:
- constantly consulting families via parents forum's and the online newsletter
- engaging with councillors at the Disability Community Forum; and
- raising issues facing families with disabled children across a range of services
Facilitate a network for parents/carers that is beneficial by:
- providing a network card scheme for disabled children that meet an agreed criteria that is recognised by local services and offers a range of benefits
- promoting opportunities for families by increasing the visibility of services; and
- exploring new ideas
For further information contact Steve Devlin, the network coordinator.
Telephone : 0208 583 3626
Mobile : 07932 750 345 (you can text message to this number)