Housing repairs

Who is responsible for housing repairs

Hounslow Housing is responsible for:

Maintaining the structure of your home and any ‘installations’ in your home.

The structure includes:

  • outside - roof, chimney, foundations, drains, gutters, pipes, and external walls, front doors & window frames
  • inside - walls, floors, ceilings and windows.

We may not be responsible for repairs needed because of misuse, damage or neglect by you or any member of your household, any visitors or pets.

The ‘installations’ in your home include:

  • water pipes and tanks
  • electrical installations, including wiring, sockets and light fittings
  • gas installations, including all pipework
  • heating installations, including appliances, boilers and radiators
  • kitchen units, sinks and worktops
  • bathroom installations, including wash hand basins, baths and toilets.

We may not be responsible for repairs to any installations fitted without our written consent.

The Council is also responsible for communal areas:

  • outside – communal gardens and pathways
  • inside - staircases, corridors and lifts.

You are responsible for:

The inside of your home, any attached structures and any private garden or yard, including:

  • replacing locks and lost keys
  • replacing doorknobs, letterboxes and other door furniture
  • replacing broken toilet seats
  • unblocking sinks, baths and basins
  • replacing sink and bath plugs and chains
  • replacing electrical plugs and fuses
  • replacing light bulbs and fluorescent strips (except in shared areas like stairwells in blocks of flats)
  • filling minor cracks in plaster
  • repairing and replacing fences you share with neighbours
  • testing smoke alarms, in line with manufacturers' instructions and replacing their batteries
  • replacing washing lines (unless they are shared)
  • repairing items you have installed yourself
  • repairing your own electrical appliances
  • internal doors, handles and hinges inside the property, and cupboard catches
  • fixtures or fittings  provided by you, including extra security measures and alterations
  • keeping your home in a good decorative condition
  • taking reasonable care of all specialist adaptation equipment.

Help us maintain your council property by:

  • reporting repairs as soon as possible
  • keeping your home clean, tidy and in reasonable condition, including good decorative order
  • using any decoration allowance awarded to you for interior decoration only.

Report your repairs online


Email the repairs team


Telephone 020 8583 4000 (between 8am to 6pm Monday to Friday)

rating button