Blue Badge parking
If you have mobility issues or you’re visually impaired, you may be eligible for a Blue Badge parking permit. With a blue badge you can park closer to your destination and in some circumstances you can enjoy free parking and sometimes stop on double yellow lines.
Blue Badge application costs £10. The government has a tool that will show you if you qualify for a blue Badge.
Applying for a Blue Badge with a non-visible (hidden) condition
Due to the nature of non-visible (hidden) conditions, applications will be assessed by looking at an applicant's needs. Having a certain condition or disability does not automatically entitle somebody to a Blue Badge.
Personal Independence Payment (PIP)
An applicant would be automatically eligible under the new criteria if, in their PIP mobility assessment, they scored 10 points in “Planning and following a journey”. Specifically, the 10 points which says:
“Cannot undertake any journey because it would cause overwhelming psychological distress to the claimant.”
If the applicant did not score this, they can still apply and their application will be assessed by their local authority.
There is no automatic eligibility under the new criteria with other benefits, including:
- Disability Living Allowance (DLA)
- Attendance Allowance (AA)
Instead, if the applicant receives one of these benefits, they can still apply and their application will be assessed by their local authority.
Applying under the new criteria
Consider applying for a Blue Badge if the applicant has a non-visible (hidden) condition, causing them to severely struggle with journeys between a vehicle and their destination, and either:
- is constantly a significant risk to themselves or others near vehicles, in traffic or car parks
- severely struggles to plan or follow a journey
- finds it difficult or impossible to control their actions and lacks awareness of the impact they could have on others
- regularly has intense and overwhelming responses to situations causing temporary loss of behavioural control
- frequently becomes extremely anxious or fearful of public/open spaces
Please be advised that the application process can take between 10/12 weeks to complete depending on whether an assessment needs to be carried out
Where you can park with a Blue Badge in Hounslow
- free at any public parking meters or pay and display bays
- up to three hours on single or double yellow lines
- disabled bays for as much time as you need
- on-street resident permit/ shared use bays within Hounslow
- all Hounslow car parks in the pay and display or disabled bays.
If you have a Blue Badge, you can register for a 100% congestion charge discount.
Blue Badge fraud
It’s a criminal offence to misuse a Blue Badge. So if you see this happening, please contact us immediately giving us their number plate and badge number if you can. Telephone: 0800 328 6453.
Apply for a Blue Badge
To return your application or for any other enquiries.
Concessionary Travel Unit
London Borough of Hounslow
7 Bath Road
Telephone: 020 8583 3073