Since November 2021, the London Borough of Hounslow Council (LB Hounslow), in partnership with Transport for London (TfL) and their construction partners Hounslow Highways, have been delivering updates to the Cycleway 9 (C9) scheme, on Chiswick High Road.
These updates have been delivered to replace the temporary scheme, which was introduced in December 2020 as an emergency response to the Covid-19 pandemic.
In July 2021, the Council voted to make the scheme permanent, subject to a series of changes identified through the initial consultation on the initial scheme.
Please see an overview plan of the emerging scheme below:
Please click on the image to enlarge (opens in a new tab)
These improvements have been built under a new experimental traffic order and will act to:
- Reinstate the left-turn filter lane at the junction of Chiswick Lane and Chiswick High Road to improve traffic flow and bus journey times
- Introduce eastbound and westbound bus lanes between Homefield Road and Netheravon Road to improve bus journey times
- Install bus shelters at bus stops between Chiswick Lane and Heathfield Terrace
- Introduce more pick-up and drop-off points for taxis and other vehicles between Chiswick Lane and Heathfield Terrace
- Replace temporary cycleway segregation measures with permanent, paved barriers, to make road segregation clearer
- Make changes to junction entry points to make cyclists more visible to vehicles
- Install more signs and road markings to make the cycle lanes more visible.
- The Addition off more tactile paving and new paving including pavement levelling
- Introduce raised tables at side roads
To view more details on the plans, please visit TfL’s website.