What is the Environmental Champion Scheme?
As part of Cleaner Greener Hounslow we are launching a community volunteering opportunity to get residents from all parts of the borough to join us in making Hounslow a cleaner and greener place to live. We want to empower our communities to make a difference by developing a volunteering network bringing everyone together to tackle environmental priorities.
What does an Environmental Champion do?
There are plenty of opportunities for an Environmental Champion to get involved and improve their local community. Some of the activities we suggest are:
- Help wildlife flourish – Identify sites for wildflower planting and rethink your own back garden to be wildlife friendly
- Plant and care for trees – Adopt a street tree or help plant trees in your neighbourhood
- Organise community events – Organise a play street, a street party, or a community clean up
- Beautify your street – Get together with your neighbours to ensure your street looks its best
Champions can choose to do as many or as few activities as they want – and if you have any great ideas that we haven’t thought of, you will have a dedicated point of contact who is happy to help with any questions or obstacles you might face when organising in your local area.
How will the council support Environmental Champions?
When you sign up as an environmental champion, we commit to support you by providing:
- Dedicated point of contact
- Induction when you sign up
- Litter picking kit
- How-to guide
- Regular meetings and newsletters
How can under 18s get involved?
We encourage your entire household to take part in the scheme. Therefore, we invite those under 18 to take part as Eco-Agents. Eco-Agents will receive smaller litter pickers, and high-vis vests, in addition to their own how-to-guide. The guide will include information about recycling, upcycling, fun planting projects and other activities that encourage children to think about the environmental impact they have on the world. The scheme is aimed at children between 7-11, but we can accommodate older children by providing them with the same equipment as adults.