I want to join housing register
What is the Housing Register?
The Housing Register is a register of people who are waiting for social housing in Hounslow. It enables us to allocate council and housing association homes to those in the greatest need in accordance with our Housing Allocations Policy, such as:
- those who are entitled to live in the UK without restrictions based on their immigration status
- people who currently live in Hounslow and have done so for at least the last 5 years or 5 out of the last 7 year
- those who have a need for alternative housing which is assessed against a range of criteria
Please view the full housing policy.
If you do not live in Hounslow, or have not done so for that last 5 years, and are going to be homeless, please visit I’m at risk of becoming homeless page to view other forms of help that will be available to you depending on what your circumstances are.
How do I join the Housing Register?
- Please see further information and pre-qualifications questionnaire
- You need to fill out a pre-qualification questionnaire which will tell you if you meet the basic criteria to join Hounslow's Housing Register.
- If the pre-qualification questionnaire comes back successful, you will be sent a link to complete an online application form.
- The application form must be completed within 14 days of you completing the
- pre-qualification questionnaire.
- You will be asked to submit supporting information after we receive your application.
What happens once I have applied?
- We will carry out an individual assessment based on the information you have provided to us
- We will contact you if we need more details about your current situation
- We will ask you to provide a range of documents to support your application
- We will tell you which documents you will need to provide after you have applied as everyone has different circumstances
I have applied for housing and have not heard anything
Due to the high demands we are currently facing, you will not hear from us straight away - it may take about 12 weeks before we contact you.
If you have received confirmation that you are on the Housing Register but you have not been offered a property, please see details below about average waiting time.
It is not possible for us to keep in regular contact with each person on our Housing Register and we will only contact you when we need to. However, it is important that you tell us about any changes in your circumstances which you can do by completing my circumstances have changed form.
How long do I have to wait for a new home?
We cannot tell you exactly when and if you may be offered a new home. Waiting times vary and depend on any specific needs you may have (such as floor level of property and location).
We have provided average waiting times below which are based on applicants in Band 2 only on the Housing Register
- 1 bedroom home: average waiting time is more than 2 years
- 2 bedroom home: average waiting time is more than 2 years
- 3 bedroom home: average waiting time is more than 4 years
- 4 or more bedroom home: average waiting time is more than 5 years
Please note, we have approximately 4,200 households on the Housing Register waiting to be offered a Council or Housing Association home.
In addition, we have around 300 residents applying to join the Housing Register each month. On average, we can offer 50-60 homes each month to residents, many have been waiting for several years