Cycle training sessions for adults
Cycle for fun or leisure and enjoy the benefits of a healthier lifestyle. Why not cut down on bus or train fares by cycling to work which will also benefit you as you will get fit, avoid the traffic jams and help the environment.
Book for free cycle training sessions
The sessions are held on Saturday mornings once a fortnight with our approved provider, London Bike Hub.
These are group sessions with trained cycle instructors, although individual sessions can also be arranged where appropriate.
Our training is tailored to provide you with skills and confidence based on your individual needs. Cycle training isn't just for beginners - even regular cyclists can benefit from fine tuning their skills and planning safer routes.
Different level training sessions are available depending upon your needs:
Beginner training: Great for those who have never cycled or haven't cycled for a long time, beginner training will occur in a traffic-free environment and will give you basic bike skills such as balancing, stability and control.
The training is split into 3 levels:
- Level 1: For those who can balance and pedal, level 1 training will allow you to work on skills such as signalling, braking and manoeuvring. This is based in a traffic free area to build up your confidence before going out on roads for the first time.
- Level 2: Aimed at those who have a little road-riding experience and want to improve their confidence and safety. We begin on quiet roads, and progress to busier areas as suited to the group
- Level 3: Suitable for more confident cyclists, our advanced training occurs on busier roads to help you safely tackle more complex features such as roundabouts and multi-lane junctions.
These training sessions are free, and are subsidised by Transport for London and ourselves.
One to one Advanced Cycle Training
We are now running a more flexible, bespoke adult training service with free sessions which are suitable for cyclists who are already competent and experienced, but would like to raise their skills to Level 3, the highest level of training available. Anyone who’d like to take advantage of these sessions needs to live, work or study in the borough of Hounslow and trainees aged 12- 18 must be accompanied by a responsible adult.
Level 3 equips trainees with skills for more challenging roads and traffic situations – busier streets, queuing traffic, complex junctions and roundabouts. It also includes planning routes for safe cycling.
- Skills that are tested include:
- Prepare for a journey.
- Understand advanced road positioning.
- Pass queuing traffic.
- Perceive and deal with hazards.
- Understand driver blind spots.
- React to hazardous road surfaces.
- Decide where cycle infrastructure can help a journey and Demonstrate correct use.
- Use mini-roundabouts and single lane roundabouts.
To book please contact London Bike Hub
Dr. Bike Sessions
In addition, FREE Dr Bike sessions are available across the borough.
If your bike has been stuck in the shed for too long, bring it along and get it checked over for free. Mechanics will be able pump up the tyres, check your brakes and do simple repairs for FREE. They will also let you know if more major work is needed, helping you get back on two wheels.
If you want something fitted bring it along, if it's possible we'll fit it.
Reduce the risk of your bike being stolen by getting it marked and registered free at Dr. Bike Sessions with the UK's police approved scheme - BikeRegister
Go to London Bike Hub for more information on dates and locations.
Learn how to perform simple, regular bike maintenance to help reduce wear and tear and keep the repair bills down.
We are now offering one day courses from complete beginner to intermediate levels. Four courses at heavily subsidised cost at £10 each for those living, working or studying in the borough:
- Introductory class
- Cleaning, brakes and gears
- Care and replacement of hubs, cassettes, chain and derailleurs
- Care and replacement of headsets and bottom brackets; wheel truing
To book please contact London Bike Hub
Book for cycle training http://www.londonbikehub.com/cycle-training/
Road Safety Team
Traffic & Transportation
London Borough of Hounslow