Hounslow Council

Applying to the housing register

If you would like to rent a council or housing association property in the London Borough of Hounslow, you will need to apply to our housing register.

The demand for social housing goes up every year, and the number of properties available decreases.

The housing register is designed to assist those that are in most housing need and that are vulnerable. Even if you are accepted on the housing register, it may take years to obtain social housing and this may not become your lifetime home. Your best options are to relieve your own housing situation by looking at our housing options guidance.

How do I apply?

You will need to complete our online application form. (provided by Locata partnership)

Note: We no longer issues paper housing register applications so all applicants are required to complete the online application form.

Our online service ensures that:

  • you will be able to use our self-assessment tools to ensure you don’t need to complete lengthy forms unnecessarily

  • you can apply for social housing online, receive instant responses and personalised advice without having to visit or call your local council. New initiatives and options which are relevant to you and your family will be just a mouse-click away

  • you can choose to receive information from your local council by email, text or letter, whichever is better for you

  • you can keep us updated with changes to your personal information by managing your details online – your information will be accessible to you, changeable by you but secure and visible only to you

These changes will save us money and make our services accessible 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

We will reduce the amount of paper, printing and postage we use, so these changes are beneficial for the environment too.

In exceptional circumstance where applicants are unable to use a computer or have extenuating needs we will provide a face-to-face interview and assist applicants in making their application for housing with us.

What happens next?

When you have completed the online application, your application will be assessed by an allocation officer.

You will be emailed regarding the outcome of your application and provided with LOC number, which you can use access the targeted housing options website for information regarding housing options.

If you are eligible to join the housing register you will be emailed a digital welcome pack which will provide you with your application priority details which will include your priority band and your priority date.

We operate a three band system (1-3). People in band 1 will be those with the highest urgent housing need and those in band 3 the lowest level of need.

Your priority for housing within your band will depend on the date you joined that priority band.

What if I’m already a council tenant and want to move?

It will depend on your circumstances. You will only be allowed to join the Housing Register if you qualify under the housing allocations policy and fall under one of the new band criteria. For example:

  • Your current property is under occupied

  • You have a medical or mobility need that is affected by you housing

  • You are releasing an adapted property

  • You are moving to sheltered accommodation

  • Because of exceptional circumstances, this could include things like threat to life, the police advise a move, or if there is an exceptional need that isn’t covered by the Housing Allocations Scheme  

  • You are overcrowded by 2 bedrooms or more

Can I be on more than one housing register?

Applicants can register on any number of housing registers across the country, however as we are part of the Locata partnership, you can only have one application for housing between the following boroughs and registered social landlords:

  • Ealing

  • Brent

  • Harrow

  • Hillingdon

  • Royal Borough of Kensington & Chelsea

  • Catalyst Housing

  • A2 Dominion

  • Nottinghill Housing

  • Octavia

  • PCHA

  • Shepherds Bush Housing

  • Stadium Housing

Any applicants who hold a housing register application with any of the above partners will not be accepted onto the Hounslow housing register.

Please note that if you are registering for housing outside of west London, councils can give priority to local residents over people applying from outside their area.

If you are a tenant of one of the partner councils or housing associations, you are likely to be more successful if you apply for a transfer with them. If you are a homeseeker, you may be more successful if you apply to the council where you currently live as you are prioritised as a local resident.

What if I move address or my circumstances change?

If you move address you will need to complete an online change of circumstance form to reflect the changes in your personal circumstances.