Hounslow Council

Home care

If you feel you are losing your independence and are finding it difficult to manage on your own at home, you may be eligible for home care.

Home care can provide you with help you need to stay safe and feel secure in your own home. We can help you with personal care, for example washing and dressing.

We can also support carers who are feeling stressed or may have health needs of their own by helping out with some of the caring activities at home.

Who is the service for?

Home care is for people with a physical, sensory or learning disability, for people who are frail due to age or long-term illness and for people with mental health problems. It can help you stay safely in your own home on a long-term basis.

Will I qualify for home care services?

We may offer you home care services if you have no-one to help you and, because of a physical or mental disability, you:

  • are housebound (cannot leave the house)

  • are in danger because you cannot feed yourself

  • cannot wash or dress yourself or look after other personal needs

  • find it difficult to move around your home to do essential tasks

  • are incapable of carrying out essential tasks outside the home

If you need somebody to do your housework or shopping, we will provide information about independent providers offering such services.

Will I have to pay?

You do not have to pay to receive an assessment for home care or advice about home care services, but we do have to charge for the care that we provide in your home.

The amount you pay will depend on how much you can afford. The social worker will ask that you complete a financial assessment at the same time you receive your self-assessment forms. This will establish whether you would be eligible for a personal budget which may pay for the full cost of the service or a contribution towards it.

What is the full cost of home care?

This will depend on how much you can afford.  If you are assessed as needing to pay either the full cost or a contribution towards it, we will send you an invoice for payment.  

If you are eligible for a personal budget, you can choose to pay for home care provided by a different organisation. The choice and control over the services you are assessed as needing is yours.

For more detailed information on the financial assessment process and paying for social care services, please see the paying for social care services page, or our fact sheet – paying for non-residential care services (links on the right).

Hounslow care guide - helping you remain independent at home

Our booklet helping you remain independent at home provides a broad range of information about the process the council uses when assessing whether you are eligible for social care services. It also provides information on a significant number of local organisations and agencies that you can contact yourself to provide help so that you remain safe and supported at home. Please use the Hounslow Care Guide link on the right hand side of the page.

Further information

For further information please contact the First Contact Team, please see link on the right hand side of this page.