Hounslow Council

Learning disabilities

We work alongside families, carers and social care providers to promote choice and independence.

We offer a range of community services such as:

  • help with everyday living tasks including personal care

  • leisure and social activities within the community and sessional activities within day centres

  • help accessing training and education in local colleges; and

  • support in finding work, paid or unpaid.

Our approach

We believe it is important for people with learning disabilities to have choice and control in their lives.

We know that people with a learning disability want like everybody else to enjoy an ordinary life, and that choice and control are important.

We work with organisations across Hounslow to support people with a learning disability to live as independently as possible.

As a joint team with Hounslow and Richmond Community Healthcare NHS Trust, we provide the following services:

  • Speech and language therapists

  • Clinical psychologists

  • Psychiatrists

  • Dieticians

  • Community learning disability nurses

  • Physiotherapists

  • Social workers

  • Behaviour analyst

What services are available?

  • Domiciliary care ­ helping people get in and out of bed, help with washing, medication and breakfast

  • Meals services ­ for people who do not have access to a hot meal

  • Day care ­ providing support and a range of activities for people with a learning disability during the day

  • Employment - providing access and training to help get suitable jobs

  • Training and education - helping to build up skills

  • Respite care - short term care giving carers a break

  • Social activities - access to swimming baths, social clubs, leisure facilities etc

  • Support with transport ­helping people with a learning disability feel confident about using public transport, including the Travel Buddy service

  • Direct payments – providing money to give choice and control over services that are needed

Do I have to pay?

Most services do need to be paid for although some, like day care, are free. We will assess you using government guidelines to see how much you will pay.

To find out more please see the paying for social care services page, or contact the adult access team.

How do I apply?

If you are someone with a learning disability or you are caring for them you can ask the adult social care team for an assessment of your needs.

The team will ask a number of questions to find out more about health, family circumstances, abilities and needs. The team will then decide whether the person is eligible for services or whether help could be provided from other organisations.

Helping you remain independent at home

Our booklet helping you remain independent at home provides a broad range of information about the process wel use when assessing whether you are eligible for social care services. It also provides information on a significant number of local organisations and agencies that you can contact yourself to provide help so that you remain safe and supported at home.  Please visit the Hounslow Care Guide website, under external links.

Further information

Contact the adult access team, follow the link on the right.