Hounslow Council

Disability living allowance

Disability Living Allowance – sometimes referred to as DLA – is a tax-free benefit for children and adults who need help with personal care or have walking difficulties because they have a severe health problem or have problems going out to places they don’t know.

You may get Disability Living Allowance if:

  • You have a physical, learning or mental disability

  • Your disability is severe enough for you to need help caring for yourself or you have walking difficulties, or both or you need someone to keep you safe

  • You are under 65 when you claim

You may be able to get Attendance Allowance, if you claim for the first time when you are aged 65 or over but this does not give help with mobility only care needs and keeping you safe.

You can get Disability Living allowance whether or not you work. Any savings or income you may have does not affect it. Disability Living Allowance (and Attendance Allowance) can increase the amount of other benefits you can get.

How much do I get

How much you get will depend upon your level of need. The Disability Living Allowance is split into two parts called components:

  • A care component paid at one of three rates– if you need help looking after yourself or supervision to keep you safe

  • A mobility component paid at one of two rates – if you can’t walk or if your walking is very limited or you need help getting around to unfamiliar places.

You may be entitled to one or both components.

Further information

To find out more or apply for Disability Living Allowance, contact the Benefits Enquiry Line on 0800 88 22 00 (textphone 0800 24 3355) or find out more information using the link on the right.

Learning disability clients should contact the Community Team for People with Learning Disability (CTPLD) directly on: 020 8583 3529/30.