Hounslow Council

Blind or partially sighted

If you find it difficult to manage with everyday living because you have a sight loss, there are a range of services available that can help you to remain as independent as possible.

We work in partnership with the Hounslow Association for the Blind to provide services for adults with a visual impairment. We have knowledge and skills that can enable people to learn new ways to continue with activities both in the home and in the community.

We can provide some specialist equipment to support people or advise where to purchase them from.

This service includes:

  • developing skills in mobility to travel independently both indoors and outdoors;

  • advice on concessions such as the Freedom Pass and the disabled person's railcard and applying for the Talking Books service;

  • teaching activities of daily living tasks such as preparing hot drinks;

  • guidance on where to get benefits such as Disabilty Living Allowance and Attendance Allowance;

  • support in areas such as employment and education;

  • teaching communication skills such as Braille and keyboard skills; and

  • advice on equipment to reduce risk and increase independence.

How do I access this service?

Anyone with a visual impairment can be referred to the Sensory Impairment Team.

To find out more, visit our applying for adult social care services web page, available on this page under related links or contact the First Contact Team directly..

First Contact Team
Email: adultsocialcare@hounslow.gov.uk

Tel: 020 8583 3100
Fax: 020 8583 3187