Hounslow Council

As councils have a limited amount of money to provide care, we do have to charge for many of the services we provide.

You do not have to pay to receive an assessment of need or for advice about the care we offer, but we do have to charge for many of the other services.

The amount you pay will depend on how much you can afford. The social worker will complete a financial assessment form with you at the same time you receive your assessment of need. Our financial assessment team will then conduct a financial assessment based on your income, savings and outgoings and will notify you of the contribution you need to pay for your care package.

The government provides councils with guidance on how to charge in a fair and reasonable way. More information on the fairer contribution guidance can be found on the Department of Health’s website.

What financial information do I need to give you?

We will need to know what savings you have and what income you receive. We take account of most types of income, benefits, pensions and investments. However some benefits will be ignored.

These include:

  • child benefit

  • winter fuel payments

  • social fund payments

  • disability living allowance mobility component

  • housing and council tax benefit; and

  • Christmas bonus payments.

We also ignore income from paid employment.

Will I have to pay a contribution towards the cost of services?

Yes, it is likely that you will have to pay a contribution.

If you have savings of over £23,250 (15/16), you will have to pay the full cost of the care you receive. This charge begins from the date your care begins.

If you have savings or capital below £23,250, you will receive a financial assessment based on your income, assets, and outgoings.

For more information on the financial assessment process, contact:

Financial Assessment Team
Civic Centre
Lampton Road

Telephone: 020 8583 3939/3039/4523

For further information please view our fact sheets page - see right of this page for link.

Seeking independent financial advice

To help you make decisions about how you could pay for your care, we have a legal duty to help you access financial information and advice which is impartial and independent from the council.  See the link on the right of this page.