Hounslow Council

Licences we are not responsible for

We are not responsible for the following licences:


If a business offers credit or lends money to consumers, or allows customers time to pay for goods and services, it must be licensed with the Consumer Credit Licensing Bureau of the Office of Fair Trading under the Consumer Credit Act 1974. Please refer to their website using the links on this page.

Door supervisor

Door supervisor licences are handled by Security Industry Authority (SIA). SIA are responsible for the compulsory licensing of individuals working in specific sectors of the private security industry.  For more information you can visit their website using the links on this page.

Hairdresser's licence

Hairdressers do not need to be registered. However activities such as ear piercing, electrolysis, tattooing and acupuncture, and the employment of staff still require to be registered with us for a special treatment licence

House-to-house collection

A permit is required to undertake a house to house collection, under the House-to-House Collections Act 1939.

House-to-house trading is dealt with by the police. More information can be found on charities section of their website, available under external links.

Nursing agencies licence

Any agency which supplies nurses to hospitals, old people’s homes or other outlets can only do so if they are licensed. This applies to employment agencies or any organisation or individual operating in this area of work.

The licensing and enforcement of nurses' agencies is carried out by the Care Quality Commission. More information can be found on their website - available under external links.

Petroleum licence

Petroleum licences are issued and controlled by the London Fire Authority. Please use the links on this page to visit their website for more information.

Taxi and minicab licensing

For taxi and minicab licensing information see the taxis and private hire pages on the Transport for London website - using the external links on this page.

Second hand goods

This licence is not applicable to Hounslow.

Street collection

It is illegal in this country to hold a street collection to collect money or sell articles for the benefit of charitable or other purposes without obtaining a street collection. Street Collection is dealt with by the Metropolitan Police. More information is available on the Charities Collection page of the Metropolitan Police website.

Water sports

The Adventure Activities Licensing Authority inspects activity centres and other activity providers on behalf of the Department of Education and Skills (DfES)

Voluntary mini-cab licensing scheme (mini bus permits)

Mini bus permits for voluntary and non-profit making organisations are issued by the Department of Transport.