Hounslow Council

Bus pass - older people

Bus pass - older people

The older person's freedom pass gives you free travel on all buses, trains, trams, Docklands Light Rail, Thames river services and London Underground services within the London area 24 hours a day and from 9.30am on National Rail services.

It is paid for by the council to help older people get around.

  • If you were born on or before 5 May 1951 and you are a permanent resident in the London Borough of Hounslow, you can apply for a freedom pass.

  • If you were born on or after 6 May 1951 you need to check when you will be eligible.

You can check when you will be eligible by using the freedom pass online calculator.

How do I apply?

Apply online for an older person's application form

You can also collect a form from your library or the civic centre and return the completed form to:

Freedom Pass application
P.O Box
572 Hull

Alternatively you can apply on line via the London councils site.

Once London Councils has received you completed and proof  will send your pass through the post.

You will need to provide two passport size photographs. You will also need to provide proof of your name, age and residency in the borough. Only certain types of identification are accepted.

You will need to provide the required proofs with all applications

Proof of Name, Age and Address

1). You must provide ONE example from the list below as proof of name and age

(These should be photocopies and not originals  - Original documents will not be returned)

  • Current passport

  • Medical card

  • Birth certificate (unless your name has changed)

  • Current driving license (photocard)

  • Letter of state pension.

2) You must also provide ONE example from the list below showing proof of residential address

  • Current council tax bill, or letter, or payment book

  • Current council, housing association rent book / statement / letter

  • Current television license or one of the items below which must be dated within the last three months

  • Residential utility bill (excluding mobile phone bills)

  • HM revenues and customs letter

  • Department for works and pensions letter

  • Occupational pension letter

3) Photograph

A recent (within the last 12 month) passport sized photograph. Please write your name on the back on the photograph.  Please do not staple or paperclip to the form.

You cannot use a photograph that was part of an old photo identity card.

  • Your photo must be:-

  • Colour and size 45mm x 35mm

  • A current true likeness, showing your full face, facing forward without a hat

  • Taken against a plain, evenly lit and pale coloured background

How much does it cost?

The Freedom Pass is free but you must provide one passport size photos with your application. If you use the pass on national railways to travel outside the Greater London area, the extra cost of the travel must be paid before boarding the train.

When is the pass valid?

You can use your pass to travel any time on all Transport for London services. Time restrictions still apply on National Rail services.

The pass can be used on local bus services anywhere in England, between 9.30am and 11pm on Monday to Friday, all day at weekends and public holidays. The pass is only valid outside London if it has a 2010 expiry date, a red rose logo and bus hologram. Please note it is not valid on tram, light rail, metro or train services outside London.

The pass is valid on some local bus routes, in and around London, which are not part of the Transport for London bus network. Before travelling you should contact the relevant bus company to check if these routes accept the pass.

The pass is valid on National Rail between 9.30am and 4.30pm on weekdays and all day at weekends and on public holidays.

The pass is valid on Thames River servives. Fares are half price with a Freedom Pass after 9am Monday to Friday and all day at weekends and on public holidays.

What if the pass is stolen, lost or faulty?

Freedom Pass holders who lose or damage their cards will be charged £10 for replacements. If a crime reference number is provided, no charge will be made to replace a stolen Freedom Pass.

You need to contact the Freedom Pass helpline on 0300 330 1433 to obtain a replacement pass.

I have changed address. What do I need to do?

In order to verify your new address in London you must provide proof.

You will need to send in a photocopy  (originals will not be returned)  to Freepost, Freedom Pass Returns along with a covering letter.

The document must show your full name and address and be a copy of a recent utility bill or council tax statement.

See London Councils guidance on alternative proofs that they can accept

How do I use my Freedom Pass?

On buses you only need to touch your freedom pass flat on the yellow card reader when boarding the bus.

On the train and tube you just touch your freedom pass flat on the yellow card reader on the automatic ticket gates as you enter and exit the station.